Drainage Prevents Problems
How Foundation Drainage Systems Help Prevent Foundation Problems
Three DIY foundation drainage systems that use gravity. Compared to fixing cracked foundations, foundation drainage solutions are a cheap and easy way to help prevent foundation problems. From Advanced Foundation Repair.
- Hi, I’m Fred Marshall with Advanced Foundation Repair and I’m here today to talk about foundation drainage systems.
- Foundation drainage is important.
- It helps to prevent foundation problems and avoid the need for costly foundation repairs.
- Where gravity can be used to get rid of water, there are 3 general approaches.
- The first and most widely used is to slope the ground so the water drains away into the streets.
- For situations where there is not enough drop to create slopes, the next best option for drainage around a foundation is to create surface foundation drains connected to underground pipes.
- The pipes should be solid.
- No holes so that the water stays in the pipes.
- Because pipes are smooth on the inside, they can move water away with slopes as little as one inch of drop for every ten feet.
- If the lot the foundation is on is so flat that gravity can not be used, foundation drains can be run into sump pumps.
- Care needs to be taken to ensure that the pumping capacity for each foundation pump is great enough to handle the volume of incoming water.
- In cases where there is a need to get rid of underground water from around a foundation, French drains can be used.
- The bottom line is that you need to drain standing water away from your foundation.
- Use your eyes and if you need help with foundation drainage systems, call the drainage professionals at Advanced Foundation Repair 214-333-0003.
Get a Detailed Inspection!