Proper foundation maintenance is critical to the health of your home. To avoid serious structural issues, mold, mildew, water damage, sloping floors, and other costly problems, you should perform maintenance on your foundation on a regular basis. Regular maintenance will help keep repair costs low and keep serious foundation issues at bay.
Here are a dozen steps that should be taken when performing home foundation maintenance:
- Inspect perimeter of home for cracks, and damage
- Clear gutters of leaves and other debris
- Check downspouts to ensure they carry water as far away from home as possible
- Check for water pooling near foundation after storms
- Check for proper sloping away from home’s foundation
- Maintain consistent moisture level of soil around foundation
- Install a good drainage system where needed
- Routine pest control inspections and treatment against pests and termites
- Schedule an annual plumbing inspection
- Have a root barrier installed where trees are close to the home
- Avoid planting trees with deep, strong root systems that can damage a foundation
Following these home foundation maintenance steps can help preserve the health and strength of your home’s foundation for years to come. Water is one of the most common sources of foundation problems, and plumbing leaks are big culprits. When you perform an annual inspection of your plumbing system, be sure to include sprinkler systems as well as fresh water and sewer lines. Gutters and downspouts are fairly easy to maintain and fix if they are causing water to pool too close to your foundation. Even grading the ground around your foundation to ensure that water flows away from rather than toward your home is a project you can do yourself, if you’re willing to put in the sweat equity. Root barriers can help prevent invasive root systems from causing foundation problems, cracks in the walls of your home, heaving in your driveway and the sidewalk in front of your home, as well as interfering in sewer lines. If there are already large trees with deep root systems in place, consider adding a root barrier to stop the trees from drawing moisture from the soil under your home.
As a professional foundation repair company, Advanced Foundation Repair can spot foundation issues before they become major problems and provide you with an affordable solution, and instruction in maintaining your home’s foundation. We offer precise inspections and Advanced Pro-Lift Technology to correct your foundation problems. Advanced Foundation Repair is proud to be the most trusted foundation repair, with free estimates, easy payment and financing options, a transferable lifetime warranty, and unmatched customer service. If your home is in need of foundation repair, or you need more information regarding home foundation maintenance, please contact us for a free quote.