7 Foundation Landscaping Tips
7 Foundation Landscaping Tips for Healthy Foundation Maintenance
By Frederick Marshall
July 18, 2012
When it comes to foundation landscaping, why not kill two birds with one stone. By taking care of properly installed foundation landscaping, homeowners also reduce the likelihood of future foundation problems. It’s a win / win all the way around.
Foundation Landscaping Guidelines
When designing foundation landscaping, keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Slope foundation gardens away from house to prevent standing water – at least 1 inch per foot or more if possible. It is recommended to have a 10 inch drop for the 1st 10 feet around the home sloping away from the foundation.
- Mulch foundation garden beds. This helps to keep moisture in the soils during hot dry periods. This also helps hold moisture in the soils under foundations.
- Provide drainage points in landscape edging to allow excess water to drain away from the foundation. Openings should be large enough to prevent them from being clogged by mulch, leaves, and other debris.
- Keep a space between foundation plantings and the foundation. The proper distance from the foundation depends on the plant. Base it on how much space the plant will take up at maturity. At the plants’ maturity, it should not be touching the foundation. A space between a house and it’s foundation plants allows room for roots to grow without growing under a foundation.
- Make sure to keep 3 to 4 inches of the foundation exposed. Plant large shrubs (6 ft and over) 5 ft from house.
- Plant trees as far away from the foundation as possible. Most trees have roots that extend out from the trunk 1 to 2 times the height of the tree. Consider removing trees that are too close or installing root barriers to keep tree roots from away from foundation.
- Don’t over water. The goal is to keep soil surrounding and under foundations at an even moisture level.
Frederick Marshall is the CEO of Advanced Foundation Repair, LLC, a foundation repair company specializing in home repairs from the foundation up including foundation repair, foundation drainage, exterior foundation waterproofing, foundation irrigation, and plumbing services. Advanced Foundation Repair has specialized in foundation repair needs of Texas homeowners for over 100 years. Connect with him on Google+.